Nominations are now closed
Representatives will be elected by the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people enrolled within each Local First Nations Voice region.
Any Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person could nominate to stand as a candidate for their Local First Nations Voice as long as they met the relevant eligibility criteria.
If you would like further information on the nomination process, email
If you wanted to be a representative for a Local First Nations Voice, you first needed to nominate.
To be eligible, you must:
- be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person (under the three-part test); and
- live in the region you want to nominate for, or, if you are a Traditional Owner, have cultural connections to the region you wish to nominate for; and
- be enrolled on the State Electoral Roll by 5:00 pm on 12 February 2024; and
- be 18 years or older.
You were not be able to nominate if you:
- are currently in jail
- have been found guilty of a serious criminal offence within the last 2 years
- are restricted from travelling within South Australia because of bail, parole or other agreement
- have been disqualified from acting as the director of a company under the Corporations Act.
- Ensure that you are enrolled and that your details are correct on the election roll – You can check your enrolment details at the AEC website and update your details if necessary.
- Complete a nomination form and sign the declaration
- Provide a recent photograph of your head and shoulders as you do for a passport photo. This photo will be printed on the ballot paper to help people recognise you (You can take a photograph on your mobile phone and email it with your nomination).
- Provide a criminal history report (such as a police check) issued no earlier than 12/8/23 OR apply for a police check and supply the required identity documents (Note: There is no cost to apply for a police check as part of the nomination).
Submitting a nomination
Completed nominations, including all identity documentation and photograph, must have be received by ECSA before the close of nominations, (5pm Monday, 12 February 2024). We recommended sending them to ECSA as soon as possible so any issues can be sorted before the close of nominations.
Nominations could be submitted:
- by email to
- by post to ECSA, Reply Paid 646 Adelaide SA 5001
- by the Nominations Portal